Leaflet English

Pamphlet English

 

Konoikeshindenkaisho Museum

Konoikeshindenkaisho is a facility that manages and operates “Shinden” (new fields) developed by the great merchant Konoike family in the Edo period. Agricultural land, cultivated after detection by the Shogunate in early Edo period called “Shinden” or new field regardless of paddy or dry fields, were found in various parts of Japan. In the southern part of Kawachi Plain, Osaka Prefecture in the middle of Edo period, shinden were developed mainly along the former Yamato River where its flow was stopped due to diversion construction in 1704 and on the channel bed and bank of the Tamakushi River and Nagase River.

Shinkai pond located in the center of the plain, collecting water form former Yamato River and Neya River, was reclaimed for a 158ha of shinden as a reclamation project of Zen’emon-munetoshi Konoike and his son Zenjiro between 1705 and 1707. Konoike-shinden-kaisho was completed at the same time as shinden and has been used for over 240 years.

Under the supervision of the general manager sent from the Konoike family, collection of farm rent and fertilizers fee from the tenant farmers, payment of land tax to the Shogunate government, management and repair of both farmland and houses, creation and organization of Shumon-aratame-cho, or lists of parishioners, distribution of rice to the elderly, conveyance of instruction from the Shogunate government or Konoike family to the tenant farmers and arbitration for dispute within the shinden were conducted in kaisho. In the shinden, tenant farmers cultivated mainly rice and cotton which were main products of this region at that time.

Traditional buildings such as main building (Honya), storehouse (Kura), gatehouse (Nagaya-mon), residence and Asahi shrine, and garden still remain in the 10,662m2 of land. The land was designated as historic site in 1976 followed by the designation of the main building, annex storehouse and storehouses for document, rice and farm implements, ridge plaque and rice storehouse plaque made in 1759 and 1802 respectively as Important Cultural Properties in 1980.

The shinden-kaisho underwent constant remodeling and expansion since its establishment including the reconstruction after devastated after natural disaster but during 10 years from 1985, it was dismantled and restored to the state as it was in 1853, in the late Edo period.

The garden with a view of Mt. Ikoma in the east is now designed with Benten Pond to amuse the change of view while walking in the garden by arranging garden stones and stone lantern and also by altering plants and the way of trimming.

At storehouses for rice and farm implements, you can learn about Konoike-shinden through panels and video images as well as exhibition of farm tools. In front of the storehouse, boats that used to come and go through waterway of shinden and cotton field can be seen.

Unlike private house architecture, Konoike-shinden-kaisho is characterized by its unique design generated from the management of shinden such as spacious earth floor, high beams, open and simple Japanese style tatami room, storehouses facing toward the courtyard and rice threshing floor.

 Information 
Open: 10:00~16:00
Fee: 300 yen for adults / 200 yen for elementary and junior high school students
Free of charge for students up to high school age and younger on every Saturday morning
50 yen discount per person for groups of 20 or more
Close: Monday and the following day of holiday

 Access 
By bus: Take a bus from Kawachi-kosaka station or Yaenosato station of Kintetsu Nara line toward Konoike-shinden station via Aramoto station of Kintetsu Keihanna line.
By train: 5 min. walk southeastward from Konoike-shinden station of JR Gakkentoshi line
By car: There is no parking space in the facility, please use the paid parking lot around the site.

 Contact 
Address: 2-30 Konoike-motomachi, Higashiosaka City 578-0974
Phone: +81-6-6745-6409